Slow Cooker Tips
Using a slow cooker may be considered one of the easiest cooking methods, but here are some helpful tips to enhance flavors and make your slow cooker recipes even tastier (Related: Comfort Foods with a Twist):
- Brown meats, poultry and other proteins before adding them to the slow cooker. This builds the flavor of the dish.
- Use dried rather than fresh herbs in slow-cooker dishes. If you want to enhance the flavor with fresh herbs, you can do so at the end of the cooking period.
- As a general rule, dishes cooked on low can be cooked safely on high for half the time.
- Don’t touch that lid! Slow cookers can lose 20-30 minutes of cooking time when the lid is removed.
- Layer ingredients so that the densest ingredients (such as potatoes) and ingredients that take the longest to cook are on the bottom.
Need some slow cooker inspiration? Try one of our delicious recipes: