Did you know that Indiana ranks among the top egg-producing states in the country? Get cracking on these additional fun facts about eggs.
• A fresh egg will sink in water; a stale one will float.
• Eggs contain all the essential protein, minerals and vitamins.
• Egg yolks are one of the few foods that naturally contain Vitamin D.
• Eggs are good for your eyes because they contain lutein, which helps prevent age-related cataracts and muscle degeneration.
• An egg shell can have as many as 17,000 pores over its surface.
• The edible part of a chicken’s egg is approximately 74 percent water, 12 percent protein and 11 percent fat.
• Indiana ranks 3rd in the United States with more than 23 million egg layers (chickens that lay eggs).
• Each egg layer produces 250 to 300 eggs a year.
• There are roughly 280 million laying birds in the United States.
• A chef’s hat is said to have a pleat for each of the many ways you can cook eggs.