Fresh Egg Recipes from Indiana Farmers
Akers Hatchery and Eggs in Salem, Indiana and Rose Acre Farms in Seymour both shared farm fresh egg recipes from the Hoosier state:
Angel Food Cake
Submitted by Akers Hatchery and Eggs
- 1¾ cups sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 12 egg whites (the closer to room temperature, the better)
- ⅓ cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon orange extract, or extract of your choice
- 1½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, spin sugar for 2 minutes, or until superfine. Sift half of the sugar with the salt and cake flour; set aside the remaining sugar.
- In a large bowl, use a balloon whisk to thoroughly combine egg whites, water, orange extract and cream of tartar. After 2 minutes, switch to a hand mixer.
- Slowly sift the reserved sugar into the mixture, beating continuously at medium speed. Once you have achieved medium peaks, sift enough of the flour mixture in to dust the top of the foam. Using a spatula, fold in gently. Repeat until all of the flour mixture is incorporated.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into an ungreased tube pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes before checking for doneness with a wooden skewer. When inserted halfway between the inner and outer wall, the skewer should come out dry.
- Cool upside down on a cooling rack for at least 1 hour before removing from the pan.
Note: Since they are easier to separate, use the freshest eggs you can get.
Submitted by Rose Acre Farms
- 1½ cups sausage, browned, drained and crumbled
- 1¼ cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Paprika (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet, brown the sausage; drain. Spoon into an ungreased 10-inch pie pan. Top with potatoes and cheddar cheese.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, milk, salt and pepper; pour over the cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and paprika.
- Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown.